Among the Guarani people exist several groups that speak the same language and have a very similar culture, but that called themselves in different ways in agreement with the area and the family. Denominations are Pãi-Tavyterã or Kaiowá, Mbyá, Aché or Guayakí, Chiriguanos, Avá Katu, Avá Guarani or Ñandeva or Chiripá, Guarani Ocidentais do Chaco.

In spite of the invasions, the Guarani insist in resisting on their own lands, also in the great metropolises of Mercosul, like in São Paulo and in Porto Alegre, where their reciprocity economy opposes with the individualistic way of life of the capitals.

It is not possible to have an exact and absolute census of the Guarani population in South America. However, starting from official data and information collected by the main native and indigenous organizations of the countries, it is possible to esteem that the population Guarani is around 225 thousand people. One of the largest indigenous population in Latin America.

The country that presents the largest population Guarani is Bolivia. According to the data of the Guarani People Assembly in Bolivia - entity that represents more than three hundred Guarani communities of this country - the population would be around 80 thousand people living in the Southwest area, in Santa Cruz and a part of Chaco. Bolivia is the only country where you can find the Chiriguano people.

After Bolivia, Paraguay has the largest population of Guarani. According to official research, the population counts 53,500 Guarani, living mainly in the east of the country and close to the boundary with Brazil and Argentina.

The third largest population would be found in Brazil, with about 50 thousand Guarani. And fourth, with 42 thousand, is Argentina, concentrating in the North area of the country.

In Brazil, according to research done by the National Foundation of Health (Funasa) and the Missionary Council on Indigenous Issues (CIMI) the estimate population of Guarani is approximately 50 thousand people; 40 thousand (80%) lives in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul and the other 10 thousand (20%) is located on traditional lands in the states of Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina, Paraná, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and in a one reservation in the state of Pará.


Argentina – Population: 42.000
Groups: Mbya and Ava Guarani
Source: National Institute of Statistics and Census in Argentina

Bolivia – Population: 80.000
Group: Chiriguano
Source: Survey done by the Assembly of Guarani People (APG, Assemblea del Pueblo Guarani), entity that represents directly more than 300 Guarani communities in Bolivia

Brazil – Population: 50.000
Groups: Pãi-Tavyterã; Mbyá; Nhandévaor Chiripá
Source: Survey done by the Missionary Council on Indigenous Issues (CIMI), starting from data presented by the National Foundation of Health (Funasa)

Paraguay – Population: 53.500
Groups: Pãi-Tavyterã; Avá Katú; Mbyá; Aché; Guaraní Occidentais, Nhandéva
Source: National Census ‘Población y Vivienda del Paraguay’, numbers collected in 2002

UruguayThe Guarani are going to their tekoha (their land), even without be recognized by the State.